The starting point of the Kyorin Group's corporate social responsibility (CSR) endeavors is its corporate philosophy, that is “to cherish life and benefit society by contributing to better health.” For sustainable growth, Kyorin will prioritize building and maintaining trust-based relationships with medical professionals, customers, shareholders, investors, employees, business partners, and local communities. The Group will continue to work to realize that goal by providing trusted products and services, and by fulfilling its corporate social responsibility in the areas of environmental and industrial safety and hygiene through activities that contribute to health and society.
Corporate Social Responsibility
In recognition of the importance of its corporate social responsibility, the Kyorin Group is enhancing its corporate ethical standards and putting in place a system of compliance in line with the approach set out below.
An enterprise should pursue profits through fair competition as an economic entity, and at the same time should be a force for the greater good of society.
Based on its corporate philosophy “to cherish life and benefit society by contributing to better health,” the Kyorin Group will conduct its activities in every country based on a high standard of corporate ethics, respecting human rights and observing all laws, as well as standards of conduct and the spirit thereof.
To ensure the Group's activities are based on a high standard of corporate ethics, the Company has built a compliance framework. It has drawn up the Kyorin Holdings Corporate Charter, updated its Compliance Guidelines to their current form in August 2010, and holds a Compliance Committee meeting once a month.
- The Kyorin Holdings Corporate Charter was developed to specify matters of corporate ethics and compliance in accordance with our corporate philosophy, and serves as the starting point for our corporate activities.
- The Compliance Guidelines complement the Kyorin Holdings Corporate Charter by clarifying the standards to be followed for sound and proper business activities.
- In March 2006, the Compliance Committee was established to provide overall supervision of corporate ethics and compliance systems. Each company has a compliance promotion manager who is responsible for the understanding and instilling of corporate ethics and compliance.
Education and Training
In-house training courses are conducted to promote understanding of and instill corporate ethics and compliance.
- Compliance managers organize education and training courses on corporate ethics and compliance, which are conducted at each level of the organization on a Companywide basis, and run instructional activities for Company officers and employees.
- Details relating to corporate ethics and compliance are incorporated into job function-specific training conducted by each division to promote understanding and instill a sense of ethics and awareness of compliance among employees.
- Each November is designated as compliance enhancement month, during which time the Company works to tighten up on compliance at every level.
Ongoing Environmental Initiatives
The main subsidiary of the Kyorin Group, KYORIN Pharmaceutical, is implementing the following activities on an ongoing basis. For details, please refer to the Environment and Workplace Safety and Health Report on the KYORIN Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. website (Japanese only).
1. Preventing global warming
- Reduce the amount of fuel used by installing cogeneration systems and using smaller boilers
- Reduce power consumption by controlling air conditioning settings to 28°C in summer and 21°C in winter
- Use eco-cars and hybrid vehicles to improve fuel efficiency and reduce exhaust emissions
2. Reducing waste volume
- Reduce waste emissions and promote recycling towards achieving zero final landfill, and introduce a negative carbon printing system
3. Managing chemical materials
- Manage substances covered by the Pollutant Release and Transfer Register (PRTR) Law, and evaluate methods for reducing amounts used and the use of alternatives
4. Preventing atmospheric pollution
- Measure and control the amounts of soot and smoke, nitrogen oxides (NOx) and sulfur oxides (SOx) emitted by boilers and generators
5. Preventing water pollution
- Process wastewater, including by primary processing plants, and management of pH, biochemical oxygen demand (BOD), and suspended solids (SS) levels
6. Preventing deforestation
- Recycle paper, use recycled paper, and promote a paperless office environment
7. Noise reduction
- Take steps to measure and manage noise levels
8. Preventing foul odors
- Install draft chambers and use scrubbers to remove odors
Measures Relating to Industrial Safety and Hygiene
In 2004, subsidiary KYORIN Pharmaceutical obtained occupational health and safety management system certification (OHSAS 18001) for all production and research divisions, and in 2005, consolidated its ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 measures. The Rimedio Center of KYORIN Rimedio obtained ISO 14001 certification in 2008 and OHSAS 18001 certification in 2009.
1. Rate and severity of work accidents
As a result of measures implemented to prevent work accidents, the frequency and severity of such accidents are much lower than the industry average. There have been no fatal accidents since the start of operations.
2. Vehicle accidents
Despite setting a target of a year-on-year reduction in the number of vehicular accidents per branch, in fiscal 2012 there were 212 accidents, slightly more than the previous year. To turn around this increasing trend in vehicle accidents, for fiscal 2013, the Kyorin Group is implementing various accidentprevention measures, incorporating both physical and systematic approaches.
Risk Management Measures
Kyorin established a Risk Management Committee in order to prevent risks from materializing and deal with any risks that do materialize.
Also, a risk management promotion officer has been appointed at each company to raise awareness relating to risk management.
Social Contributions Activities
1. Local Community Activities
Cherry blossom viewing party
The Kyorin Pharmaceutical Discovery Research Laboratories and Development Research Laboratories hold an annual party for viewing the blossoms on cherry trees that are more than 40 years old. As usual, this year's party had many participants.
The occasion was also used as an opportunity to explain Kyorin's environmental and occupational safety activities.
Summer evening parties
Each year, the KYORIN Pharmaceutical Development Research Laboratories and various plants hold summer evening parties to which local residents are invited. These are popular events that provide an opportunity to further promote understanding of the Company's activities.
Local cleanup activities
For more than ten years, the Okaya Plant has been a “foster parent” responsible for beautifying a section of the shore of Lake Suwa as part of the Lake Suwa Adoption Program. The plant received an award in recognition of these activities. Employees also help to keep the lakeside park clean.
Employees of the Noshiro Plant participate in voluntary activities to maintain the Kaze-no-Matsubara, a pine forest and recreational area that acts as a barrier protecting the locality from winds.
In our head office, employees participate on a voluntary basis in cleanup campaigns carried out twice a year by the local Chiyoda City authorities.
Distribution of Doctor Salon booklets
Radio Nikkei broadcasts Doctor Salon, a program aimed at physicians. These broadcasts have been compiled into booklets, which KYORIN Pharmaceutical's medical representatives distribute during their monthly calls on doctors. A wide range of diseases is covered, providing timely coverage of current topics, making the booklets very popular with primary care physicians.
Supporting sporting events
The Kyorin Group supports sporting events. Among these are the Shimotsuke Soccer Workshops for children, with former J-League players and other soccer athletes serving as instructors.
2. Employee voluntary community/health activities
The Kyorin Group is promoting the Kyorin Smile Program, a set of employee initiatives for making a contribution to society and people's health. The activities in this program include donating blood and fund-raising. In fiscal 2012, the Kyorin Group donated a total of ¥110,484 contributed by employees to UNICEF. The Group also collected 2.8 kilograms of used stamps, which were donated to the Japanese Organization for International Cooperation in Family Planning (JOICFP). The stamps will be used to help fund White Ribbon Campaign activities aimed at protecting the lives of mothers and babies throughout the world.
3. Support for recovery from the Great East Japan Earthquake
KYORIN Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.'s Discovery Research Laboratories, Development Research Laboratories and Sendai Branch Office have been participating since 2011 in the Sunflower Project in which sunflower seedlings are grown and delivered to the areas afflicted by the Great East Japan Earthquake. We will continue these efforts with the aim of cheering up the locals with sunflowers as everyone works to achieve the region's recovery from the disaster as soon as possible.